Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Happy birthday to my big bro Daniel Kalevor



Happy birthday in advance to one of my favorite people in this world - my older brother, Daniel Kalevor. Sometimes the noise of life prevents us from appreciating loved ones that have played a pivotal role in defining who were are. But such occasions give us a reason to pause, and really take stock of the people whose love and nurturing has materially defined the course of our lives. For me, one such person is my brother Daniel. There are others, but today, I'm using your birthday to sing your praises.

For me, whose father (our father) passed away when I was barely 2 years old, Daniel, was really the older brother/father figure whom I looked up to in the formative years of my life. When I was an exceptional student in elementary school in Nsawam and I had to be jumped ahead a couple grade levels, it was Daniel, who came to speak with the Headmaster (aka Principal) of my school (the great Mr. Frank Obeng, RIP) to make that happen. When it was time to choose a boarding school for high school, it was Daniel who played the deciding factor, in my choice of Presbyterian Boys' Senior High School - arguably the best high school in Ghana based on academic record and achievement. I was so desperate to follow in his footsteps, as that was his alma mater also.

It was Daniel who nurtured my interest and curiosity in history, global affairs and an unrelenting curiosity about the world around me. He was on popular radio quiz shows in Ghana, winning prizes and making us proud. He was on the 'What do you know" Quiz show a few times in the 1990s and each time he contested he won. He was on the "Sunlight University Challenge" in 1996 and although his team, Atlantic Hall, from the University of Cape Coast, lost in sudden death/overtime, by a slim margin, everyone in Nurses' Quarters, Nsawam, where I grew up, saw his gallant fight and I got the street cred for it. "Yeah, that's my big brother" I used to brag. If you're a 12 year old kid and you look up to a guy like that, how would this not make you feel good about yourself?

When it came time for me to enroll at the Presbyterian Boys' Senior High School, it was Daniel, who took me to school, helped me get settled on my first day of boarding school. It was my first time away from home, so I was terrified. But he was there to encourage me every step of the way, visiting on weekends, as often as his schedule would allow. When I was awarded the best performing student at the year 2000 SSSCE from Presbyterian Boys' Senior High School, along with 3 other graduates, again, Daniel accompanied me to receive my award. I believe my sister Pearl was there too. When it was time to go to university, Daniel, yet again, was the one who took to Legon on my first day on campus to help with the mind-numbing registration process.

He was the one consistent, recurring figure that was always there in those formative years. I know, as we both got older, we used to occasionally bump heads every once in a while - after all we are both alphas, but I have never doubted your love, loyalty and sense of duty to your family. Thank you for all you do for our family. You're the best big brother anybody could ever ask for. May the best years lie ahead of you. Indeed, may the best years lie ahead of us. I'm there for you as you've always been there for me. Happy birthday brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment